[Technical] Interesting computers-in-education piece. Education&the ACCC

Con Zymaris conz at cyber.com.au
Fri Aug 5 15:05:48 EST 2005

On Fri, Aug 05, 2005 at 02:57:47PM +1000, Clark, Ian C wrote:

> [...]

Unfortunately, I'm having no luck in accessing the
http://www.tenders.vic.gov.au/ site to show you the refenrences to the
tenders we're talking about. The site seems to be off air. If you can, can
you search for the Microsoft agreements made by the DET and paste their
details back to this list?

> There is no central prescribing of operating systems a school purchases
> for its students or staff.
>
> So, there are schools with Novell, Macintosh and Linux computers. Some
> reimage the leased IBM laptops they receive to better suit them ... they
> could put Debian on them if they wanted.

That doesn't stop a largish slice of money having gone automatically to
Microsoft for copies of OEM Windows and OEM Office that aren't being used.
Correct?