[Technical] Interesting computers-in-education piece. Education&the ACCC

Con Zymaris conz at cyber.com.au
Fri Aug 5 15:55:04 EST 2005

On Fri, Aug 05, 2005 at 03:18:38PM +1000, Mark Snell wrote:
> >>So, there are schools with Novell, Macintosh and Linux computers. Some
> >>reimage the leased IBM laptops they receive to better suit them ... they
> >>could put Debian on them if they wanted.
> >

> >That doesn't stop a largish slice of money having gone automatically to
> >Microsoft for copies of OEM Windows and OEM Office that aren't being used.
> >Correct?
>
> Not OEM Windows. Each school has to but an invividual win32 license for
> each machine it wants to run windows on.

Interesting. My understanding, and by following this up with the IBM link
on the deal I have validated it, is that each of the 40,000 laptops came
with Windows 2000:

See this:

 http://66.102.7.104/search?q=cache:enRE4b-BSqsJ:www-8.ibm.com/solutions/au/publicsector/downloads/pv_DE%26TVic_cs.pdf+Victorian+Department+of+Education+notebook+40,000&hl=en

 Equipped with Microsoft Windows
 2000 Professional, the IBM ThinkPad
 R30s come with a three-year on-site
 next business day response warranty.
 The warranty is provided state-wide to
 schools or DE&T office locations.

My understanding was that this arrangement _also_ included OEM versions of
Microsoft Office. An understanding which is confirmed by the actual
contract itself, available I might add in Word 2000 DOC format only, but
thankfully made available by Google as text.

http://64.233.179.104/search?q=cache:h1Pk9j7rwZsJ:www.tenders.vic.gov.au/domino/web_notes/etenders/etdrpublishing.nsf/0/baa34564f57461674a256b48008218ab/Body/M2/Contract%252520disclosed%252520on%252520VGPB%252520site.doc%3FOpenElement+r30+victoria+%22Microsoft+Office%22+education+teachers&hl=en

 The image for the initial rollout of notebook computers will include the
 following software applications:
 - Microsoft Windows 2000 operating system
 - Microsoft Office 2000 Premium (clip art from Office 97)

So, my question is: "Why aren't your worldviews on what the deal done
actually was, consistent with the DE&T's?" I'm an outsider mind you, so I
don't have your perspective on all this, which is why I'm curious.

One of the real problems with this arena is that there is no clear cut and
accurate source of information. I believe that this helps to keep the wool
over many observers eyes.

Thankfully, Google also provides a reference to the DE&T Microsoft
contract. And here it is: (my notes follow, below)

http://64.233.179.104/search?q=cache:u-bEkGqcpqsJ:www.tenders.vic.gov.au/domino/web_notes/etenders/etdrpublishing.nsf/0/693020B2BDD8448BCA256E2B00077E25%3FOpenDocument+microsoft+site:tenders.vic.gov.au&hl=en

Department of Education and Training (DE&T)
	Contract Details
	Contract No		0304-49a
	Title		Microsoft Large Account Reseller Services
	Type of Contract		Purchases of goods/services
	Total Estimated Cost		$22,928,000.00
	Start Date		01-January-2004
	Expiry Date		31-December-2006
	Status		Open
	Category		Education and Training Services
	Tender No

 	Description

Contract involves the engagement of aLarge Account Reseller to manage, on
behalf of the Department, the administration of its Microsoft Agreement.

So, if I am to understand Ian's point, that the DE&T only buys Microsoft
product for use by school admin staff, then we have a massive price
disconnect. $22 million dollars for software which is to be used only by a
handful of admins at each school? I think not.

Someone is pulling both your legs, and it's not me.