[Technical] Interesting computers-in-education piece. Education&the ACCC

Clark, Ian C clark.ian.c at edumail.vic.gov.au
Fri Aug 5 14:57:47 EST 2005

Hi Con,

You better get this right before your company spends anything on legal
fees!  :-)

The Department doesn't decide this for 187000 PCs and half a million
users - the individual schools do.

The only SOE (Standard Operating Environment) is the Office setup in
each school.

There is no central prescribing of operating systems a school purchases
for its students or staff.

So, there are schools with Novell, Macintosh and Linux computers. Some
reimage the leased IBM laptops they receive to better suit them ... they
could put Debian on them if they wanted.

Cheers,
Clarky

Important -