[Year 12 SofDev] choosing a language for 2008

Kevork Krozian Kroset at novell1.fhc.vic.edu.au
Tue Sep 18 13:17:04 EST 2007

Hi Mark,

  Your use of random files looks challenging. Are you using TYPE constructs as in records ?

  I guess I was referring to a database as a "  ... stored collection of records ... " as per wikipedia, and not more such as a DBMS .

  Happy to call it a data file if you like.  Not sure how many people would use a data file in SD without some grouping of data.

  Writing to a data file would be creating a " .... stored collection of records or data structure(s).. "  from the list given, into a meaningful group would it not ?

 * construct and use data structures, for example arrays,strings, sets, lists, tables, records and stacks
 * design, construct and use files to store and retrieve data

  I assume one can:

   1. write an array of integers to a file and read them back to qualify at the lower end of these specs. like a number guessing game. Read a random number from the array of integers and guess it. If too high print "High- guess again", if too low print "Low- guess again" , if correct print " Well done !".

or

   2. Enter a list of names (Strings), save to a file one at a time. When finished read back from the file.  See if your name has been saved. If you find it say "Hooray ".
or

 3. Convert Fahrenheit to Celsius on screen and save to an array element , then to a file and then read back.

or

   4. another person can make 2 tables of records ( or database ) , link the tables and do something more demanding.

 My question remains, where is the parity in the output between these 2 schools before they become input for a tertiary course ?

Yes, yes, I know we are not here primarily to satisfy the tertiaries ( only ) but to teach the VCE and my question is related to the demands of the VCE.
How hard/easy/demanding should it be  ?

 Perhaps that should be the end of my question list for today ...... :))

Take Care

Kevork

>>> Mark Kelly <kel at mckinnonsc.vic.edu.au> 18/09/2007 1:11 pm >>>

Kevork Krozian wrote:

<snip>

> Are there schools NOT using a database for either of their programming SACs ? That may be against the guidelines.

A database?  As far as I can see, nowhere does the SD study design say
one has to create a database - especially a relational one!

All it refers to it using data structures (as simple as a string
variable), and "use files to store and retrieve data" which is way less
than a 'database'.

Mind you, I expected my kids to use TYPE constructs and random files in
SD U4O1.

<snip>

Manager - Information Systems
Direct line / Voicemail: 8520 9085