[Year 12 SofDev] choosing a language for 2008

Mark Kelly kel at mckinnonsc.vic.edu.au
Tue Sep 18 15:47:46 EST 2007

Kevork Krozian wrote:
> Hi Mark,
>
>   Your use of random files looks challenging. Are you using TYPE constructs as in records ?

It's not so hard... Hmmm - I remember you telling me that about SQL, I
believe!  It's all relative I suppose.

Attached is a VB6 random file playground sheet I gave my kids as a demo.
  It covers the basics of creating the TYPE, creating random files, and
random file I/O.  It deliberately lacks any GUI whatsoever, to make the
kiddies focus on the "behind the scenes" magic  :-)

Actually the kids surprised me by taking to random files quite quickly.

All in all, many of the slower members of the cohort were JUST getting
to the "O, _now_ I get it!" stage when the year ended...  d'oh!

<snip>

Manager - Information Systems
Direct line / Voicemail: 8520 9085
School Phone +613 8520 9000