[Year 12 IT Apps] query RE macintosh db & programming tools

Roland Gesthuizen rgesthuizen at gmail.com
Sun Oct 26 22:08:21 EST 2008

Sorry for the late reply .. Whilst I was at NECC2008 in San Antonio (a
thousand thankyou's to my school and VITTA for both sponsoring my
partipation on the ACCE2008 study tour) I happened to notice how many
schools in the USA were using FileMaker. The product has come a long way
from when I last tinkered with it in the late 1990's. I must get myself
along to a workshop one day.

Laurie is right, you can easily do some really cool stuff with PHP and
MySQL. Kevork has authored a great resource that help you get started, just
look around the new VITTA website for details .. in fact, this is what
powers the VITTA website! I notice that OpenOffice.org Base version 3 for
the Mac is now out of Beta with a native Aqua version. It can easy network
with an SQL server and is worth adding to your 2009 iMac image for
deployment. We already have it running on our school network and students
are free to take this home on the OpenCD we issue.

We are also migrating to the Mac / Netbook platform in a big way for 2008.
Interested in your plans (perhaps on the eLearning list)

Regards Roland

http://www.westallsc.vic.edu.au