[Year 12 IT Apps] query RE macintosh db & programming tools

Laurie Savage sav at pvgc.vic.edu.au
Thu Oct 16 11:40:40 EST 2008

Macs are "Unix" under the hood and if my memory serves me well PHP and
possible Python and/or Ruby are sitting there as well just waiting for the
command line to be opened up. As for relational DBs - Filemaker is
interesting. I find it less robust than its Windows cousins and I wouldn't
use it for anything more mission critical than an address book or office
memo system, but it's fairly easy to use. For me the features that make it
user friendly - build relationships in an ad hoc fashion, calculations
embedded in the forms, the form as a metaphor rather than a table - are its
central problems in terms of speed, robustness and creating queries. But I
haven't built/sold any Filemaker apps in a while and it might have changed!

LS