[Year 12 Its] Programming languages - IT 1&2 & Software 3&4

Con Zymaris conz at cyber.com.au
Wed Jun 7 12:04:16 EST 2006

On Wed, Jun 07, 2006 at 11:34:18AM +1000, gordonp at horsham-college.vic.edu.au wrote:

> Your criteria differ a little from the VCAA ones Con.
>
> >If kids aren't interested in learning the technical
> > complexities of software construction, why are they >doing these subjects?
>
> Where do you start for a big rural school? I have 2 classes of Systems.
> 50% of the kids just want a VCE and are not interested in an ENTER
> score. 25% want an ENTER but will never use ie work on farm or family
> business etc. The other quarter expect to go to uni but only 2 of my
> students will go into IT courses. These 2 (actually in Year 11) will do
> a 1st year Java course next year with my help and have some credit up
> their sleeves for uni the following year.
>
> In short they are doing this subject for a multitude of reasons with
> very few (in my part of the world) interested in IT as a career.

Having students which aren't that interested in IT doing IT, seems to
result in the dumbing down of IT courses. This is not good.

Cheers,

Con Zymaris

- CEO, Cybersource Pty. Ltd.
- Director, Open Source Industry Australia, Limited.
- Convenor, Open Source Victoria (A Government-funded industry cluster.)