[Year 12 Its] Programming languages - IT 1&2 & Software 3&4

gordonp at horsham-college.vic.edu.au gordonp at horsham-college.vic.edu.au
Wed Jun 7 11:34:18 EST 2006

Your criteria differ a little from the VCAA ones Con.

>If kids aren't interested in learning the technical
> complexities of software construction, why are they >doing these subjects?

Where do you start for a big rural school? I have 2 classes of Systems. 50% of the kids just want a VCE and are not interested in an ENTER score. 25% want an ENTER but will never use ie work on farm or family business etc. The other quarter expect to go to uni but only 2 of my students will go into IT courses. These 2 (actually in Year 11) will do a 1st year Java course next year with my help and have some credit up their sleeves for uni the following year.

In short they are doing this subject for a multitude of reasons with very few (in my part of the world) interested in IT as a career.

                        gordon