[Year 12 Its] Programming languages - IT 1&2 & Software 3&4

Dr Paul Chandler paul.chandler at YVG.vic.edu.au
Wed Jun 7 11:31:32 EST 2006

I think "the trick" with using PHP is to set up tasks in such a way so that the programming is more than "glue code" between a database and a web page.

(Do I hear echos of the "interpretive" vs "non-interpretive" debate of years ago?)

-----Original Message-----
From: is-bounces at edulists.com.au [mailto:is-bounces at edulists.com.au] On Behalf Of gordonp at horsham-college.vic.edu.au
Sent: Wednesday, June 07, 2006 11:19 AM
To: is at edulists.com.au
Subject: RE: [Year 12 Its] Programming languages - IT 1&2 & Software 3&4

Ok David
just briefly I think PHP is fantastic and i have used it to successfully run some big student surveys. I also intend to use it  next year for the year 11 course.
My flippant comment about the IS approved language list criteria of "gui apps" reflects the fact that most teachers are using PHP for backend database work

Having used actionscript/flash a little with Year 10's, i'd love to trial it in Systems - but for reasons unclear to me it is not approved.

                       gordon

"David Dawson" <dgdawson at mgs.vic.edu.au> on Wed, 7 Jun 2006 09:29:29 +1000 wrote:
> Hi Gordon
> You've hooked me.
> Can you explain to us how you believe PHP, which utilises the
> complexity of HTML layers, .css files, forms, server files, databases,
> images, animations, multimedia and web objects does not meet your
> expectations of a GUI?
> Have you actually ever used it? Do you think interactive web
> applications do not "meet the criteria"? Can you explain what you have
> read in the criteria that would support your premise?
> David Dawson

---
Gordon Poultney
http://www.edulists.com.au