[Year 12 Its] Re: [Yr11InformationTechnology]ProgrammingAwards2006: PD Regi

paul at excelbusiness.com.au paul at excelbusiness.com.au
Tue Jun 6 21:28:57 EST 2006

> The fact that they only offered
> VB is a clear example of Microsoft's ulterior motives.

"Ulterior motives"? Hrmmm.... I wonder why on earth Microsoft would want
anything in return for such a large amount of money in sponsorship of the
programming awards... I thought they were doing it out of the goodness of
their heart, like all other companies that sponsor competitions.
The awards are nothing but advertising for Microsoft, and it's fair for
them to assume they will be getting something in return.

Regarding Visual Basic being "forced" on students, the only kids that need
exposure to "good" programming languages (ie. C, Java etc) are the ones
that are interested in programming.
MS VB is a simple and easy way to get kids involved in programming. Imagine
how much fun students with no interest in doing IT would have if sat at a
black and white terminal and taught how to write something in C - they
could spend 2 weeks writing 'fib' - Wow ...great way to show kids that
programming is fun.

If they find they like this "hand held" programming, then they can move
onto other languages to broaden their skills.

If they're not getting exposure to other languages when they've obvious
potential/interest, then it's their ICT teacher that has let them down, not
big bad Microsoft.

> Feeding them a diet of
> almost nothing but Microsoft platforms, web-browsers, dev tools,
> office suites etc is the problem.

Absolutely, but this is neither Microsoft's nor VITTA's fault. It’s the
department and school teachers themselves.

Perhaps an Open Source company should sponsor $15,000 and get students
involved in a PHP/Perl competition...

Paul Ferrett
Student, The University of Melbourne
B. Engineering (Mechatronics)/B. Computer Science