[Year 12 Its] A radical approach to the course

Kevork Krozian kevork at edulists.com.au
Sun Apr 2 23:18:27 EST 2006

Hi Robert,

       I had not taken your comments in any critical or negative way at all.
You were stating the obvious when you lamented the fact exams were driving
what we do in the course as far as prioritisation.
       I agree there are issues with the depth of knowledge students gain in
the course and the lower priority placed on these achievements relative to
the exam. Incidentally , did you read my review of the 2005 exam and the
examiner's report and the potential for a student to lose up to 13 marks by
giving the correct answers or not giving some of the incorrect answers the
examiner's published in their report ?
       I do remember the CATs and not so fondly unfortunately. Let's be
honest, if a teacher did not produce good CATs for review or authentication
they simply found another teacher who did have such CATs and copied it for
the next year, changing the names to protect the innocent. I just don't
think the CATs were scientifically evaluated for difficulty or parity. But
then again, that was last century and the debate is purely academic and
historic.
      I agree with you when you make the valid point about depth of
knowledge and open slather in the exams. How much depth does one go into
when studying motherboards, and computer architecture and yes, ROMs,
PROM,EPROM, EEPROM etc etc.
          I still believe the exams are too fringe and cult-ish in the type
of knowledge they require of students. Many of the questions are outdated in
the area of knowledge of technology eg. Section B, Q4 with the diagram of
the CPU, main memory and the I/O controllers is not how motherboards or CPUs
work anymore, even if they worked that way 10 to 15 years ago. Just go to
www.intel.com and look at a P4 CPU design. They speak of FSB, BSB, levels of
cache, northbridge and southbridge. See also
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Front_side_bus.
How often would students need to agonise over whether they should use a
32bit or 64bit processor with a 32 bit OS ? ( Section B, Q3)
       I believe success in exams requires significantly different skills to
success in the coursework. It requires one to drill students in the
"culture" and language of the exams by doing several dozen of them over a
dozen weeks or so to get inside the minds of the examiners. Some of that
culture is IPM language eg. Data types such as "currency". You're a computer
scientist Robert, when was the last time you saw someone write a program in
one of the approved languages using the "currency" data type or the "array"
data type ?
     I would still like to know how a student who averages 96% in both IT
Systems coursework, and Cisco CCNA networking exams ( often taken as a
component of an undergraduate or Masters IT course )  can only score 38- 40
as a final study score in the subject.

Kevork Krozian
Mailing List Creator and Administrator
kevork at edulists.com.au