[Year 12 Its] A radical approach to the course

Robert Timmer-Arends timmer at melbpc.org.au
Sun Apr 2 20:16:51 EST 2006

Hello Kevork

I was not having a go at anybody with my comment re exam prep. In fact I
agreed that we are 'forced' to do it in the best interests of our students
re maxmising their chance of success in the exams.
What I was lamenting was the fact that all the fantastic work you describe
is not given the fair weight that it should - all it is used for is to rank
students (and one small philosophical point here - if all students in a
class successfully solve a problem in creative and imagintive ways and meet
all the conditions imposed upon them in doing it, then why shouldn't they be
all ranked at the same level? answer: that won't put them on a ladder for
the ENTER.) When it's all said and done, the exam counts for most if not
all, and is driving the teaching of the course.
of coursework to the exam is hampered by a number of things including the
highly generic nature of the study design, not just in software, but also
other 'theoretical' areas, such as how deeply does one goes into the study
of ROM technology (do we just teach the functional and/or operational
difference between ROM, RAM,and other storage devices, do we go down to the
level of exploring the difference between ROMs, PROMs, EPROMs, EEPROMs,...
or do we look at the different ROM technologies that allow the different
speeds to exists??)
Personally, as far as course structure is concerned I am in favour of
winding back the clock and going back to CATs (which I do not believe were
ever a problem in IT as far as authentication was concerned, or as far as
students giving up because they went over too great a period) and an exam
that covers a specific area of the course (as opposed to open slather on
everything). This way students do real projects that are valuable
experiences in their own right and that are valued  as far as assessment is
concerned, but they still have to demonstrate that they have gained a
theoretical understanding of something in IT.

Regards
Robert T-A