[Year 12 IPM] Compressing Powerpoint Files_OT

Robert Hind robert at yinnar.com
Wed Sep 13 09:26:54 EST 2006

Essentially you need to do what you do with a web page:

You use a graphics program, such as the freebie IrfanView, to crop and resize the image to the size actually wanted on screen and save the image as a jpeg file with compression, usually 70% quality is fine, thus producing a small file.

Never insert a larger image into a PowerPoint slide and then resize within PowerPoint as PowerPoint then stores the whole of the original image unless you do remember to compress the picture.

As an example:

A single slide was made and a picture inserted 2823x2128 pixels and a file size of 2,412 KB. The image was resized to fit the slide. The saved ppt file was 2.4 MB

When that image was compressed within PowerPoint the saved ppt file size was 111 KB.

When the image was resized to 800x600 pixel and saved at 70% quality in IrfanView and then inserted and resized (slightly upwards) to fit the slide and saved, the ppt file size was 92.0 KB.

Sending this last ppt file to a compressed folder reduced the size to 65.6 KB

Have fun!

Robert Hind (Semi-retired)
Ex Ashwood and Traralgon