[Year 12 IPM] Compressing Powerpoint Files_OT

Ross Algie ralgie at mcmedia.com.au
Mon Sep 11 18:14:45 EST 2006

Hi Anne
Could I suggest that you install either winrar or winzip. They are
both shareware programs. They will install and add an option in the
right-mouse click context menu. Then simply right-click on the ppt
file and choose whichever program you go with, to compress. I sampled
a 210 kb ppt file. Winrar compressed to 62 kb and winzip to 74 kb.
Both of these were default settings.
If you were adventurous you can actually zip and then rar (aaarrrrggghhh!!!).
Note: XP's own compression tool is not very efficient with ppt files.
Google to either the winzip or winrar sites. etc. I know there are
other compression tools around (Ace etc) but these two are pretty
much universal.
Good Luck
ralgie