[Year 12 IPM] RE: Another Powerpoint Query

Roland Gesthuizen rgesthuizen at gmail.com
Fri Oct 27 17:09:26 EST 2006

Our media teacher gave me a swag of good reasons why I should be encouraging
students to use Video editing tools such as Movie Maker instead of
PhotoStory to assemble their projects. I must admit that I could see his
point of view when I tried it out with two different groups.

The video editing group had a better 'learning experience' and product by
penning a script, editing and reworking their backing mixing an audio voice
and music tracks first in Audacity then building a story in the video editor
from a storyboard of selected photographs and effects. The PhotoStory group
ended up with a slick product that ran twice as long with padding, images
and transitions but little direct input from the students or measure of
their true creativity. It became easier to click'n build than think then
create.

I hope I am not bagging PhotoStory (using it for my family snaps etc) ..
just suggesting that we should stop and think about its place.

Regards Roland

http://www.westallsc.vic.edu.au