[Year 12 IPM] OT: Unit 2 IT study design -- LAB [Long and Boring] response

Mark Kelly kel at mckinnonsc.vic.edu.au
Fri Jun 17 20:17:58 EST 2005

Robert Timmer-Arends wrote:

> Hello Mike
>
> '...people free scanners /  e-tag readers ...' are otherwise known as 'data
> capture devices', combining the operation of 'acquisition' and 'input' by
> 'capturing' the data at its source. In terms of the Info Proc steps, the
> step might be called 'data capture', and I suspect that the original post re
> direct screen entry might be put under this heading (???)

 > Regards
 > Robert T-A

I would agree that data acquisition may occur immediately before input
(though it may appear to be simultaneous), especially with such things
as web forms where the unwashed masses type data into web forms, and the
data is then input into some server-side database.   The point is that
acquisition occurs a millisecond *before* input, but is still a
different logical process to input.

Alas, there is no such heading as "data capture" in VCAA's gospel of
info processing cycling.

Is this a problem with the real world, or VCAA?  Heaven forfend!  Surely
the VCE IT theory *must* concur with the real world of IT...

Why else would we teach it?

[Increasingly Off-Topic hereafter]

Why else would we teach, for example, the theoretical steps of the
problem solving steps (SDLC), if it were not the canon of real-world IT
business people?   To teach irrelevant or outdated theory would waste
our students' time and to elevate ourselves to ridicule from those in
The Real IT World (TRITW).

TRITW *must* believe in ADDTDIE (analyse, design, develop, test,
implement, evaluate) because we would not be teaching this otherwise...

Unfortunately, for every VCAA model, there are many different models in
The Real World (e.g. those that include "Document" as a step in the SDLC.)

I would be entirely delighted to hear more from those in TRITW about
what theory and skills our IT kids need.  I suspect the panel pondering
the new study design would be equally delighted.  I know they consult
TRITW people already.

Frankly, I don't care what the details of the dictated theory is.  I
just trust that it is industry-relevant, and of practical use to the
kids we indoctrinate and send off with a packed lunch into the arms of
TRITW.

I just dread my Previous Year's Top Kid being laughed at on his/her
first day for  believing in his/her IPM received wisdom.

Phew.  I feel better now!

Mark

Manager - Information Systems
McKinnon Secondary College
McKinnon Rd McKinnon 3204, Victoria Australia
Phone +613 95780844  Fax +613 95789253
http://www.mckinnonsc.vic.edu.au
IPM Lecture notes: http://vceit.com