[Year 12 IPM] CSS Critique Invited

Bill Kerr billkerr at gmail.com
Sun Dec 25 09:11:36 EST 2005

/* I have experienced difficulty here.
1/ In all browsers the bullet marks show before all hyperlinks in the #nav
div, and I currently do not know how to stop this.
Keith Richardson. 24-12-2005*/

hi keith
to eliminate the list item marker, this works:
#nav ul {
    list-style: none; /* no list markers */
          }

other quick impressions:
you are brave to try a 3 column layout in css, even though becoming more
popular
I checked your 3 columns by modifying my screen res to 800*600
it still fits, sortof, but because your layout is centred, the user has to
scroll to see
I try to keep my layouts within 600px max by specifying width in the divs

I'm a bit rusty, the authority I refer to is Jeffrey Zeldman, as mentioned
by Laurie
http://alistapart.com/ is fantastic reference
Zeldman I think would recommend absolute positioning due to browser problems
There are hacks for IE but I thought you only needed them for older versions

you are welcome to steal and modify the style sheet I have done
which I stole from Zeldman :-)
http://users.tpg.com.au/billkerr/jeffreyZ.css
applied to this site:
http://users.tpg.com.au/billkerr/g/int.htm
check out these menu features which I like a lot, all done with style:

   - button effect, whole "button" is clickable
   - roll over effect
   - different colour for the page you are currently on

--
Bill Kerr
http://billkerr.blogspot.com/