[elearning] Query on iPad research [Scanned] [Spam score:10%]

Timothy Kitchen TKitchen at strathcona.vic.edu.au
Sun Sep 9 21:15:11 EST 2012

Hi Folks,

Here is an interesting bit of research that adds to the conversation

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-31747_7-57363113-243/ipads-in-classroom-provide-20-percent-jump-in-math-scores-study-says/

Ta

Tim Kitchen
Strathcona BGGS

On 09/09/2012, at 7:17 AM, Roland Gesthuizen wrote:

We are having much the same discussion at our school with similar thoughts about iPads at the junior levels followed by BYOD laptops for the senior levels (perhaps hang onto your old iPad) and a mix of some COWS (netbooks/laptops on wheels) and Labs (arts/tech/music etc) to fill a few curriculum gaps.

The move towards an ICT provision and support model that is student centered, increasingly student managed and learning based is not going to be easy. The computing needs of different VCE students will vary profoundly and any attempt to mandate one solution will very likely disappoint some and over-provision others.

We may have to let go of some sacred notions, spaces and network practices such as the central storage of student files on school hosted file servers. Whilst it is a move away from the familiar old enterprise-factory model, if we are serious about skilling independent learners and digital citizens then we need to move on beyond controlling every minute setting and aspect of an iPad device, apps that can be used, what books can be installed on an ereader etc ..

Andrew raises a good point. We should back off teaching students how to solve a problem by mandating a specific tool or strategy and instead support them with the necessary horizontal, vertical scaffolding and help showcase good practice. They will very probably surprise us with their innovation and creativity. Inspiration should be the new ceiling, not our hardware plans, application lists or network rules.

Regards Roland
Roland Gesthuizen | eLearning Leader
Keysborough College
Acacia Campus | T +61 3 9798 1877