[elearning] Query on iPad research

Groves, Brett G groves.brett.g at edumail.vic.gov.au
Fri Sep 7 11:39:18 EST 2012

The data that came back from our recent research with users is that there is a schism between device expectations, not only for staff but for students. It's incredibly marked, there are basically two camps, Laptop and iPad. In truth both are fantastic devices for what they do, the iPad supporters are correct as are the laptop supporters and in both camps the detractors are correct. Part of the issue is an awakening to what potential ICT really has in a classroom, in a mind even. And the realisation that the church is so broad that no one format device is going to suit everything asked of it.

What else would we expect in a realm of close to infinite choice?

Choice is the answer, as educators we need to stop concentrating, IMHO, on the process to reach the end result and allow students the freedom, with guidance and support, to find that route for themselves. We need to stop specifying the output of our assessments and instead concentrate on the results. "Effectively communicate this concept to this class" versus "make a PowerPoint that explains this..."  as a somewhat facile example.

We need to make not only our content device agnostic but the  learning experiences we create. This biggest barrier to this is not the device but rather a deep understanding from educators of the ideas underpinning assessment, metacognition, deconstruction, reconstruction, scaffolding, intelligent risk taking etc etc. In short great educators will leverage their understanding of how humans learn and encourage students to use whatever is at hand, exactly as it should be.

Moving away from classrooms that rely on an accountancy of compliance toward a culture of real world based outcomes is the first step. Take that and the device, provided it meets the minimum of utility is of little concern.

Kind Regards,

Brett Groves
ICT Manager
Croydon Maroondah College