[elearning] Query on iPad research

Roland Gesthuizen rgesthuizen at gmail.com
Sun Sep 9 07:17:23 EST 2012

We are having much the same discussion at our school with similar thoughts
about iPads at the junior levels followed by BYOD laptops for the senior
levels (perhaps hang onto your old iPad) and a mix of some COWS
(netbooks/laptops on wheels) and Labs (arts/tech/music etc) to fill a few
curriculum gaps.

The move towards an ICT provision and support model that is student
centered, increasingly student managed and learning based is not going to
be easy. The computing needs of different VCE students will vary profoundly
and any attempt to mandate one solution will very likely disappoint some
and over-provision others.

We may have to let go of some sacred notions, spaces and network practices
such as the central storage of student files on school hosted file
servers. Whilst it is a move away from the familiar old enterprise-factory
model, if we are serious about skilling independent learners
and digital citizens then we need to move on beyond controlling every
minute setting and aspect of an iPad device, apps that can be used, what
books can be installed on an ereader etc ..

Andrew raises a good point. We should back off teaching students how to
solve a problem by mandating a specific tool or strategy and instead
support them with the necessary horizontal, vertical scaffolding and help
showcase good practice. They will very probably surprise us with their
innovation and creativity. Inspiration should be the new ceiling, not our
hardware plans, application lists or network rules.

Regards Roland
*Roland Gesthuizen* | eLearning Leader
Keysborough College
Acacia Campus | T +61 3 9798 1877
www.keysboroughsc.vic.edu.au
On 7 September 2012 13:22, WEIR Andrew <andrew.weir at thomascarr.vic.edu.au>wrote:

> I think of bigger issue then the device is teaching staff to be
> multilingual platform agnostic.****
>
> ** **
>
> If we go to a BYOD plan how do we know that every student will use the
> same application to create a movie or annotated visual display. ****
>
> Will staff be expected to teach students the apps first then the content.
> ****
>
> Or should staff ask students to develop a task and use whatever tool that
> the student is comfortable with.****
>
> ** **
>
> Sometimes I think application lists whilst allowing for a level playing
> field remove that creativity and problem solving skill from our students.

Roland Gesthuizen - eLearning Coordinator - Keysborough Secondary College

change the world; indeed it is the only thing that ever has." --Margaret
Mead