[Yr7-10it] Year 10 Programming and Game Development

J Le Rossignol jlerossignol at gmail.com
Thu May 2 09:24:02 EST 2013

Hi All,

I've used Adobe Flash (with ActionScript 2) to cover the concepts of
programming and to provide a lead in to VET Multimedia. If you want to
teach procedural programming to students it may not be the best option.
Although I do have some resources in this area and will happily share them.

I found that C#.NET (and Java) can provide a clear pathway from simple
programming in to Object Orientation and coding for windows. The MPF
(Microsoft Presentation Foundation) is an easy way to create windows Apps.
However, this option would not be for the fainthearted.

Alice can provide a good introduction into to Java. Look at Greenfoot.org,
which is like LOGO for those who remember and also Java-based. Oracle runs
an Academy to help teachers develop the skills to assist students.

Game Salad is another option which is based more on the Mac side of things,
but everything I've heard about it has been positive for our year 9 ICT
classes.

Given that it will be next semester I'd go with something you know well,
such as Game Maker. I've found that most of my contact time with the
students has been spent in finding and correcting the small errors in their
created programs.

Regards,
J. Le Rossignol
Lilydale High School