[Yr7-10it] Re: Meeting VELS standards in Year 9 and 10

forster at ozonline.com.au forster at ozonline.com.au
Fri Apr 30 18:03:56 EST 2010

> Kevork writes,
>
> > Hi Everyone,
> >
> > Just looking at the VELS standards at Year 9  (and 10 ) ..
> >Any and all suggestions welcome  With thanks

The longer quote gives examples:

"dynamic modelling tools and manipulation and editing
techniques to describe the relationships between ideas or components; for
example, building simulations of dynamic automotive systems and processes

complex ICT tools to visually represent, model, reframe or refine
thinking strategies; for example, using three-dimensional multimedia tools to construct complex representations of molecules"

>From the examples, I dont think mind mapping is what is being asked for, rather building simulations and interactive representations. Games software is well suited to these purposes because it supports kinematic modelling and graphics.

Margaret Meijers at the ICTEV conference a year or so ago presented on how her kids were building models of real world problems, that they got from the newspapers. An example was a predator/prey model of Tasmanian Devil facial tumour, I think programmed in Star Logo TNG.

Some of my samples at http://rupert.id.au/schoolgamemaker/samples3/

Some more including pedagogy discussion at:

http://www.vpri.org/pdf/rn2005001_learning.pdf (etoys)
http://scalablegamedesign.cs.colorado.edu/wiki/Standards (agent sheets)

Tony