[Yr7-10it] CEGSA09 and ScratchDay09

Peter Ruwoldt ruwoldtp at gmail.com
Wed Jul 8 17:06:17 EST 2009

I presented a session at CEGSA09 <http://cegsa.editme.com/conf09>
regarding Scratch
<http://scratch.mit.edu/>and our experience with Scratch
Day<http://day.scratch.mit.edu/>
.

The slides and notes from this presentation can be found
here<http://limestonecoast-scratchers.wikispaces.com/file/view/Scratch+Presentation.pdf>
.

The format of the presentation was to go through some of the feedback we got
from Scratch Day so that there was no doubt in people's minds that the day
was an outstanding success.  We then looked at what Scratch is and how it
can be used to engage students in the creative process and higher order
thinking.  It is also a great tool for starting students with computer
programming without having their creative process hindered by syntax
errrors.  We then looked at Scratch Day and what we did.  The model that we
developed for this day is very replicable.

I want to thank Bill Kerr
<http://www.users.on.net/%7Ebillkerr/index.htm>for being the Centra
person at the CEGSA09 venue.  Jason Plunkett who helped
me with Centra at my end in lovely Beachport.  We were also very honoured
with the online presence of Karen
Brennan<http://web.media.mit.edu/%7Ekbrennan/>from the Lifelong
Kindergarten group <http://llk.media.mit.edu/>.  The Lifelong Kindergarten
group <http://llk.media.mit.edu/> is really worth checking out.

If you are into Twitter then a search for #cegsa09 and #scratch produces
some results.

The presentation was delivered online via Centra to about 25 people at the
CEGSA09 venue.

I am hoping to use Centra to facilitate the formation and operation of an
interest related hub group (in contrast to the traditional geography based
groups). Currently I'm trying to get together a website programming group
that focusses on the Javascript and PHP combination of tools to
address the SACE
IT curriculum <http://www.ssabsa.sa.edu.au/docs/cs-2009/inft-cs-2009.pdf>. I
anticipate that this group will help each other to

   - grow our skills
   - share resources and course development
   - possibly also share some of the delivery as time goes on.

If this hub group is of interest to you then please let me know

Peter
--
Free and Open education for all

Peter Ruwoldt