[Yr7-10it] netbooks being distributed to every year 5 and 6 studentin northern victoria primary schools

Bill Kerr billkerr at gmail.com
Sun Apr 5 20:13:39 EST 2009

1:1 netbooks in schools, summary of my analysis so far

*unstoppable force*:
a device which can be used educationally which has become -

   - cheaper
   - lighter
   - take home 24/7
   - personal ownership
   - robust
   - world wide communication and collaboration
   - cloud computing
   - free software and hardware (the latter linked to communication plans)

*immovable object*:

   - teachers as gatekeepers of standards
   - historically packaged curriculum which eschews diversions
   - resistance to unguided youthful exuberance
   - technology is everything invented since you were born
   - the disturbing aspect of young people being generally quicker learners
   of new technology than older people
   - teachers overworked, don't have time
   - incredibly diverse nature of teachers work
   - available teacher time is small chunks not large chunks required for
   paradigm shift

Larry Cuban has been saying for years that there is no substantive studies
that demonstrate that computers improved measured outcomes in general -
although he does praise the work done in schools of the 10% of teacher
computer enthusiasts

--
Bill Kerr
http://billkerr2.blogspot.com/