[Yr7-10it] Lenovo has won a contract to provide 200, 000 laptops for NSW secondary school students

Bill Kerr billkerr at gmail.com
Thu Apr 2 17:52:16 EST 2009

http://www.theage.com.au/news/technology/biztech/lenovo-firm-wins-150m-nsw-deal/2009/04/01/1238261623058.html

"Chinese computer company Lenovo has won a contract to provide 200,000
laptops for NSW secondary school students.

The NSW government has also announced agreements reached with software
giants Microsoft and Adobe to provide an extensive suite of software for the
laptops..."
Laptops, not netbooks
Secondary not Primary
200,000 not 10,000

By my back of the envelope calculations they are paying more for the MS and
adobe software in NSW (about $120 per machine in NSW cf. $40 per machine in
Victoria)

(looking forward to the day when its FLOSS all the way down)

I think the decision to go primary is better strategically (younger minds
are more adaptable, still being wired) and so is the decision for netbooks
rather than laptops (lighter, cheaper, more robust adds up to greater chance
of success for 24/7 take home strategy)