[Yr7-10it] laptops

forster at ozonline.com.au forster at ozonline.com.au
Sun May 11 18:23:49 EST 2008

> whats this eeePC like?

This email written on an ASUS EEE. I am evaluating the EEE (thanks Roland). I find it quite powerful with MS compatible Open Office spreadsheet and word processor. The browser works fine, the pdf viewer too. WiFi works fine and seems particularly sensitive.

Good for most of the tasks you might want to do. The Linux versions of Etoys and Scratch should be installable but I haven't tried.

Biggest issue for me is power. It gets quite warm and has a small fan. If you are not going to use battery power, there are the issues of power wiring and reorganising desks. If using battery power, need to manage how they are recharged and need to be sure that all the class set have been recharged and not heavily used in previous classes.

Screen is small but OK for most things except web pages with frames

Tony