[Yr7-10it] Avidemux for video editing

Roland Gesthuizen rgesthuizen at gmail.com
Sun May 11 00:48:02 EST 2008

 <http://www.flickr.com/photos/plakboek/2480473606/>
 Avidemux - 2.4.1 sample
screenshot<http://www.flickr.com/photos/plakboek/2480473606/>
Originally uploaded by plakboek <http://www.flickr.com/people/plakboek/>
On the Open Education Disk <http://www.theopendisc.com/education/> was a
copy of open-source software for video editing called
Avidemux<http://avidemux.sourceforge.net/>.
To date I have used the Windows based VirtualDub so I was curious about this
software that has been ported across to Windows from Linux. Hard core video
coders might be interested to read this detailed Excelcia
review<http://www.excelcia.org/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=57>that
compares both packages. Think of these more as power tools for
splicing, trimming and converting videos, not something to edit and mix
tracks to make movies.

It only took me a few min to download and install this onto Windows XP from
SourceForge. Of course Ubuntu Linux users have an easier approach by just
automatically installing this from available repositories. From what I can
see, it comes jam packed with all the codecs you will probably ever need.

I was able to quickly use it to open an MOV file, recode, crop and trim it
into a crisp smaller MP4 video <http://plakboek.livejournal.com/tag/mp4>version
that I could send by eMail or upload to Moodle for my students to play on
their portable players or iPods. In another couple of minutes, I was also
able to create a SWF or FLV version.

Cross-platform applications that run on Linux, OSX and Windows are a
preferred option for us so we will probably add this powerful FLOSS
tool<http://plakboek.livejournal.com/tag/floss>on our school network,
adding it to the next base computer images for
Windows and Ubuntu at our college.

http://www.westallsc.vic.edu.au