[Yr7-10it] Distance learning - use of ICT?

Tony Forster forster at ozonline.com.au
Tue Feb 5 16:46:03 EST 2008

> Most universities run distance learning programs

Though universities are offering distance ed using LMS like Moodle or
Blackboard with synchronous and asynchronous text chat, this is not best
practice use of current technology. Latest technology offers real time voice
and video and even application sharing.

Paid products like Elluminate and Macromedia Breeze do this quite well and
though the internet requirements at the server are high, at the participant
end they work with ordinary connections.

There are a number of free solutions like skype and skype conference which
can be enhanced by youtube videos and blogs. Audio conference servers (small
server charge) as used in the game world like Teamspeak and Ventrilo are
worth looking at too. Virtual worlds like Secondlife can be used too though
I havent seen a case yet that justifies the bandwidth.

I wouldn't look at universities (in general) for best practice, I would look
to this list and the edublogger community.