[Yr7-10it] girls, IT, computer literacy

Dr Paul Chandler paul.chandler at YVG.vic.edu.au
Tue Apr 8 11:56:34 EST 2008

"Turtle confusion" is a nice little book (though I can't seem to find my
copy).

Somewhere in my past, I taught some math-ish concepts using Logo, mainly
geometry.  Could be readily adapted to other languages such as scratch
or Alice.

________________________________

From: yr7-10it-bounces at edulists.com.au
[mailto:yr7-10it-bounces at edulists.com.au] On Behalf Of Bill Kerr
Sent: Saturday, April 05, 2008 5:47 PM
To: Year 7 - 10 Information Technology Teachers' Mailing List
Subject: Re: [Yr7-10it] girls, IT, computer literacy

rob costello wrote:

I'm looking for ways to attempt some maths teaching with programming
technology and am not sure of the best platform

Eg programming the graphics calc, or logo, logo-lego, picax, Alice,
Scratch - maybe these cricket things

We use picax in the traditional systems technology subject so that might
be viable

 Feels a little odd that is no established body of practice - at least
that I can find - here

Seems to be re-inventing it all over again - as though digital computers
haven't sat along side maths in schools for 30 years already

I'm using scratch to teach maths in combination with a booklet by barry
newell called "turtle confusion"

this features 40 shapes starting from simple squares, triangles etc and
progressively becoming more and more complex

great for geometry, variables  and building complexity from simpler
parts

I've written a couple of blogs explaining in some more detail (and will
write more when I have completed more of BN's puzzles)

http://billkerr2.blogspot.com/2008/02/one-problem-with-scratch.html
http://billkerr2.blogspot.com/2008/04/late-binding-scratch-cat.html

sadly the turtle is gone in scratch, replaced by a mundane cat, but logo
lives on

--
Bill Kerr
http://billkerr2.blogspot.com/

On Thu, Apr 3, 2008 at 10:14 PM, Costello, Rob R