[Yr7-10it] girls, IT, computer literacy

Bill Kerr billkerr at gmail.com
Sat Apr 5 16:46:51 EST 2008

rob costello wrote:

I'm looking for ways to attempt some maths teaching with programming
technology and am not sure of the best platform

Eg programming the graphics calc, or logo, logo-lego, picax, Alice, Scratch
– maybe these cricket things

We use picax in the traditional systems technology subject so that might be
viable

 Feels a little odd that is no established body of practice – at least that
I can find - here

Seems to be re-inventing it all over again – as though digital computers
haven't sat along side maths in schools for 30 years already

I'm using scratch to teach maths in combination with a booklet by barry
newell called "turtle confusion"

this features 40 shapes starting from simple squares, triangles etc and
progressively becoming more and more complex

great for geometry, variables  and building complexity from simpler parts

I've written a couple of blogs explaining in some more detail (and will
write more when I have completed more of BN's puzzles)

http://billkerr2.blogspot.com/2008/02/one-problem-with-scratch.html
http://billkerr2.blogspot.com/2008/04/late-binding-scratch-cat.html

sadly the turtle is gone in scratch, replaced by a mundane cat, but logo
lives on

--
Bill Kerr
http://billkerr2.blogspot.com/