[Yr7-10it] Scratch, Gamemaker, VB.net, Python, PHP and MySQL - Programming for all levels

Kevork Krozian kevork at edulists.com.au
Mon Sep 17 16:43:22 EST 2007

Hi Bill,

 I take your point about the purist approach rather than let the market dictate what is good for me.
Having said that, it wasn't my intention to knock down python or scratch - just to show their level of pervasiveness. I know, most used doesn't mean the best.

I taught Python to my year 11s this year and PHP with MySQL to my year 12s. Some of my 11s actually managed to get Python to work with the MySQL backend as well.
At one point in my professional life I REALLY wanted to make sure my students understood the way a half adder and a full adder worked with the truth tables, before they wrote a line of code. Yes, they had to understand how XOR gates worked or else they didn't deserve the luxury of using software to carry out arithmetic operations.

Nowadays, I tell them that they are unlikely to ever worry about how that works in their professional life. Perhaps off on a tangent, but if we are looking at what is the best programming language for children to learn in Period 1, and in Period 2 we are teaching students VET IT and what they need to go out and work in industry next year and the period after that we are teaching Cisco students how to set up a network in the "real" world through a simulated or school based problem then you will forgive my oversight if I stray into what is needed in industry as part of what they are doing. Maybe I am suffering VET fatigue.

In year 11, where students may be taking programming for the first time ever, the assessment requires that students look at IT Pathways of their chosen language and problem scenario as it exists in the market place.

I do long for the good old days where I could teach machine language, then assembly, then Pascal, then a 4GL and insist on the correct use of data types, structures and avoidance of type mismatches and probe with a purely inquiry based approach to what is the most educationally suitable language for students.
Sadly, it is a luxury I simply don't have anymore.

I have put on my safety helmet in anticipation of the upcoming assault on my betrayal of my educational calling........   :))))

Take Care
Kevork Krozian
Edulists Creator and Administrator
www.edulists.com.au