[Yr7-10it] Scratch, Gamemaker, VB.net, Python, PHP andMySQL - Programming for all levels

Tony Forster forster at ozonline.com.au
Mon Sep 17 13:00:02 EST 2007

> I am surprised PHP does not get a mention considering the pervasiveness of
> its use not least of
> which  with MySQL in ready made cms solutions.

Thanks Kevork
My list was of game programming languages suitable for school, maybe PHP is
suitable too. Bill has produced statistics too and maybe thats the list you
are referring to.

Your list is very useful and highlights the choice of language in career
terms.

Two points though
1) If we are talking years 7-10 there are other reasons to study programming
apart from using that particular language in later life. Programming can be
used as a science lab for running experiments in biology, physics and maths.
There are even teachers using it for literacy/story telling. In this
context, the real-world popularity of a language may be less important than
its ability to provide a window to powerful ideas.

2) There is great volatility in the popularity of these languages if you
view the graphs. If we are talking year 7's going through a 3 year degree
and allow 2 years to bed down a teaching language in schools there is 10
lag. The language popularity table will bear little relationship to what we
see now. We need to think in terms of generalised (programming) skills
rather than proficiency with a particular language.

Nevertheless a valuable contribution to the discussion
Thanks