[Yr7-10it] Scratch, Gamemaker, VB.net, Python, PHP and MySQL - Programming for all levels

Bill Kerr billkerr at gmail.com
Sat Sep 15 12:16:50 EST 2007

what should be our criteria in selecting a programming language for young
learners?

here's my list, which is what inclines me towards  etoys  / squeak:

1. good visual drag and drop of some type
2. dynamic typing (easier to learn without extensive type declarations)
3. late binding (ability to observe and modify program while it is running)
4. debugging messages that make sense readily
5. good tools for exploration of the language features with examples etc.
6. low entry - high ceiling
7. ability to share fully with other children in the world, rich or poor
(ie. open source,  multi-lingual, its on the OLPC)

http://www.sauria.com/blog/education/1457.html
why we took the kids off python
(his 5yo daughter found squeak easier)

--