[Yr7-10it] Lunchtime Computer Club ideas

margaret.lawson at konstantkaos.net margaret.lawson at konstantkaos.net
Sun Jul 29 21:09:17 EST 2007

The time is also right to set the wheels in motion to celebrate Softare
Freedom Day. I would imagine that you could plan a whole Term's Computer
Club events around September 14th (which is when St. Micks will be
celebrating it).

Looking at other operating systems
Reviewing/playing with new software
Devising a campaign to inform the school community that there are
alternatives to Microsoft or other commercial products.

Last year we took the copyright angle with the kids - don't run the risk
of downloading an illegal copy of photoshop when there is an opensource
version available from a reliable source - this seemed to get through to
many kids.

:)

Margaret

On Sun, July 29, 2007 7:31 pm, Roland Gesthuizen wrote:
> I can vouch for Tony's suggestion. It is a good opportunity to try out
> new software, in a sense .. learning by 'playing'. Another idea is to
> cleaning out the junk to create a hardware museum. We have some fun last
> year getting a TV tuner card to work on an old computer and installing a
> different operating system.
>
> Regards Roland
>

> On 27/07/07, Tony Forster <forster at ozonline.com.au> wrote:
>

>> "I feel much of the time is unproductive and purely for amusement and
>> entertainment "
>>
>> A possible solution to this that I have used is the rule that if
>> playing a game, they must have editable source for it. They may play for
>> a while but then the challenge to hack the source takes over. For
>> example I had a year 6, on his own initiative, take source code written
>> by a Dutch programmer, put it through Babelfish, translate to English so
>> he could increase the range of his laser turrets.
>>
>> Feel free to re-post this on the other lists

>>> 2. Increasing engagement , enthusiasm for ICT in middle and senior
>>> years. 3. Educating students about the many different aspects of ICT
>>> beyond their fairly narrow interaction in many cases eg. specific game
>>> playing only 4. Certifying students with a piece of paper as having
>>> achieved X, Y
>> and
>>> Z skills.
>>>

>>> Sounds like another class doesn't it ?  Maybe, but I feel if we can
>>> get the Yr 8 - 9 group fired up they will want to select VCE/VET  IT
>> subjects
>>> more readily purely from the perspective of confidence, knowledge and
>>>  hopefully some fun along the way. It is also a way for students to
>>> discover what they like.
>>>
>>> Here are a few ideas for worksheet lunchtime sized activities :
>>>

>>> 1. How to upgrade the RAM in a computer, verify it and evaluate
>>> before
>> and
>>> after performance 2. How to add a new hard drive to your computer ,
>>> verify ..... 3. How to backup files
>>> 4. How to install XP or Vista  and restore backed up files
>>> 5. How to install virus protection
>>> 6. How to setup a SOHO LAN  ( Small office, home office ) with router
>>> 7. How to setup wireless networking with graduated levels of security