[Yr7-10it] Year 8 teaching ideas...

riechase at bigpond.com riechase at bigpond.com
Sun Jul 15 14:58:31 EST 2007

Hi Stephen

Asking the students what they are interested in is definitely a good way to
go, student centered motivational etc.  However it is worth remembering that
students are often very capable of working out how to do the things they
want to do for their own use with technology, and they mostly learn the
necessary skills themselves.  This can mean the students learn operational
skills (technical know how), but lack cultural skills (appropriate ICT for
specific needs and contexts), and the critical skills (discriminating use
and understanding the value of ICT).  If you consider some of the technology
kids are enthusiastic about e.g. blogs. Moodles, social networking websites
they can really lack those cultural and critical skills and I'm not sure
formal education really addresses them yet.

Certainly something to consider what ever you decide to do.

Cheers

Anne-Marie

  _____