[Yr11 Information Technology] U202

Roland Gesthuizen rgesthuizen at gmail.com
Tue Jul 17 10:08:46 EST 2012

This looks good. Enrolling my 2012 students in this challenge (and myself
again :-)
      http://www.ncss.edu.au/challenge/about.html

I met the group who run this whilst in Sydney last term break.
     http://storify.com/rgesthuizen/cs4hs-sydney

It is a great way to engage students in programming and computational
thinking.

Regards Roland

On 13 July 2012 17:22, Holmes, Mandy M <holmes.mandy.m at edumail.vic.gov.au>wrote:

>  Hi all****
>
> ** **
>
> Although pretty long in the tooth with regards to ICT teaching experience,
> I am new to Australia and teaching VCE for the first time this year.  ****
>
> ** **
>
> I would be very grateful for any pearls of wisdom you would be willing to
> share regarding Unit 2 Outcome 2?****
>
> ** **
>
> I am planning to use VB.NET 2010 Express as firstly it is free and
> secondly there are lots of resources around!  Can I ask, what sort of tasks
> are people planning to get their students to do?  Will you work through the
> tasks with the students, getting them to document their progress
> (electronic folio), producing designs and test plans as they go, or do you
> feel we need to go through the skills then give them a whole new set of
> tasks to complete entirely on their own?****
>
> ** **
>
> I have subscribed to VITTAs resource kit and have downloaded the SAC from
> this which lists 5 problems it asks them to solve using a scripting
> language.  For each solution they are asked to provide:****
>
> **●     **a screen shot or scan of a design tool showing the objects and
> their properties used****
>
> **●     **The test plan and results****
>
> **●     **Dated journal entries about the programming application
> detailing new knowledge and skills acquired during the process of the
> problem solving methodology. Include details of your file structure used to
> manage all files created for this project. File names should also follow an
> established convention.****
>
> ** **
>
> The students in my class have no prior programming experience and I am
> very conscious of the time that all this is likely to take.  I have
> downloaded a couple of other people’s course outlines/time plans and it
> seems that they are only giving about 4-5 weeks for this whole unit. I am
> honestly struggling to see how on earth I am going to fit it all in.****
>
> ** **
>
> Any advice gratefully received!****
>
> ** **
>
> Thanks heaps,****
>
> ** **
>
> Mandy****
>
> ** **
>
> ** **
>
> *Mandy Holmes*
>
> *ICT Teaching and Learning Leader*
>
> *Trafalgar High School*
>
> *Locked Bag 1, Trafalgar 3824*
>
> *Victoria*
>
> *Tel: 03 56331733*
>
> *Fax: 03 5633 2678*
>
> *Mobile: 0429819660*
>
> *Email: holmes.mandy.m at edumail.vic.gov.au*
>
> [image: Description: signature]****
>
> ** **
>
> ** **

> and not necessarily those of the Department of Education and Early
> Childhood Development.

> Victorian Curriculum and Assessment Authority
> Teachers Association Inc

*Roland Gesthuizen* | eLearning Leader
Keysborough College
Acacia Campus | T +61 3 9798 1877
www.keysboroughsc.vic.edu.au

Roland Gesthuizen - eLearning Coordinator - Keysborough Secondary College

change the world; indeed it is the only thing that ever has." --Margaret
Mead