[Yr11 Information Technology] Racial discrimination in my exam (??)

Roland Gesthuizen rgesthuizen at gmail.com
Tue Jul 3 11:19:49 EST 2012

A certain senior dept email was filtered by heuristic filters because it used the trigger words longer lasting, money saving, what we need, relationships, growth, bigger etc. You get the idea.

I must admit to laughing when schools try and "value add" to an existing dept filters with their own layer. Some of you may be surprised to know who sets up these Internet filters.  It may have soncesince changed but predominantly was based on work by groups based in Utah and Florida.

Stufdents at my school speak over 40 languages at home. How many of this is filtered? Gets more complicated, if ask for a tradesman in my native Dutch, most of you would frown at what would pass my lips. At what point do we clean up our language and words? If context is important, then let a skilled local educator who is passively supervising decide.

Roland