[Yr11 Information Technology] Our chips are firing Mars Rovers

Roland Gesthuizen rgesthuizen at gmail.com
Fri Jan 18 11:52:14 EST 2008

Nice story to share with students that could springboard several
different discussions.

http://www.theage.com.au/news/technology/our-chips-firing-mars-rovers/2008/01/12/1200159317040.html

"TINY electronic microchips made in western Sydney have been keeping
the two Mars rover robots rolling across the planet for four years.Now
the chips, each just one millimetre square, could help solve the
mystery of the origin of the universe. Made from artificial sapphire,
they are in great demand for satellite technology and mobile phones
because they can't be affected by radiation."

Printable version attached.

http://www.westallsc.vic.edu.au

change the world; indeed it is the only thing that ever has."
--Margaret Mead