[vet-it] Cert III in IT

Nash, Peter N nash.peter.n at edumail.vic.gov.au
Wed Dec 3 05:33:36 EST 2008

Dan and Kent

There were 3 sessions on the introduction to VET and two trade
exhibitors that dealt with the VET IT. Did you get the opportunity to go
to some of them? If you did you would have seen me. Here is and overview
of the proceedings and the resources will be uploaded shortly.

The conference sessions being:

1.	VCAA and VCE / VET IT - a most information session by Daryl
Sutton (Project Manager for VET IT @ VCAA), he spoke about the scored
assessment aspect of VET IT and its implementation from a VCAA
perspective. Some useful VCAA documents were given out but one key area
was the question of the full Cert III. He explained that there is a link
on the VCAA site in VET IT explaining how you may RPL some of the
required Cert II units for the Cert III course. The PowerPoint
presentation should be uploaded at the conference site.
2.	Gathering evidence on-line - a session conducted by myself
looking at some useful tools to gather evidence for the all important
audit process associated with AQTF 2007 requirements. This was a
practical session and we even created a basic wiki and explored some
readily available open source software for capturing video, audio,
creating on-line tutorials and other useful ideas for this process (I
will be uploading this resource to the VITTA conference site)
3.	VET IT for newbies - a session conducted by myself. I created a
25 page document and associated PowerPoint presentation explaining most
elements for creating a training and assessment environment (some you
should know from your Cert IV TAA training). The handout provides useful
links to help you prepare to deliver the course and the acquisition of
materials like workbooks and texts. (I will be uploading the resource to
the VITTA Conference site). I handed out order forms from key suppliers
(who were exhibitors) at this session. And I did show the participants
one of the 'bibles' I use the IBSA CD and booklet on the National
Training Packages. This session was reasonable generic and was suitable
for those trainers of VET Multimedia as well.

Conference Exhibitors:

1.	AIET - Allan Barnes, he was in the white marquee down near
electro board. Allan had samples of the workbooks he sells. I use his
books for two reasons; has a list of elements for every unit of
competence that you can sign off like a logbook and I use some of the
more relevant activities in the delivery of the course. His work books
are great (I have been using them for 7 years now) but I suggest prepare
a course that is more relevant to your students by preparing a course
that incorporates many activities to gather evidence from role plays,
demonstrations etc and use Allan's books to support this process. There
are some units I use only parts or all workbook activities, parts of the
Tertiary Press text books then many other in-house practical activities.
2.	Pearson-Education (sole distributors of Tertiary Press books for
VET IT); they were opposite the VITTA stand at the conference.
Interesting people as I was speaking to them on the first day and there
was no site of leaflets for VET IT. I suggested to them it would be
useful to promote their books and I did notice later in the day the
pamphlets were there.

providing if you RPL sections of the pre-requisite Cert II units this
last point is most important for AQTF auditing purposes. You need to
know your students had how well they understand the work and can produce
the relevant evidence to support all the elements within the unit of
competence (evidence gathering procedures most important here). I find
that some VCAL students can not cope with the Cert III requirements so I
run two programs the Cert II and partial / full Cert III program. It
works quite well but you need to be reasonably organised to do both at
the same time.

Remember we are not delivering a VCAA subject but a national, industry
based subject that has special requirements for delivery. VCAA only
tries to accommodate these units into its program hence initially the
partial Cert III because the initial assumption was you may not be able
to RPL the Cert II units. There are issues still regarding SWL
(Structured Workplace Learning) and student work placement requirements
under the training package that need to be taken into account as well
but this is another discussion point.

Kevork's VET resource disk available form VITTA is useful for those
running a VCE VET IT program for scored assessment. The VITTA practice
exams are a great resource as well

Hope this helps - it may be useful to have an asynchronous chat /
conference with messenger or communicator (the latter available to DEECD
employees), a conference call using Skype and our web cams, or utilise
VITTA's access to Elluminate for an additional PD session.

Regards

Peter Nash

IT Teacher and Daily Organiser

Galvin Park Secondary College

Shaws Road, Werribee, Vic. 3030

Tel: (03) 9741 4911

Please consider the environment before you print this page.