[Technical] Types of printers you use in your K-6 classrooms?

Jim Maunder techo at ruyton.vic.edu.au
Wed Feb 20 16:04:32 EST 2008

At 02:11 PM 20/02/2008, you wrote:
>Hi everyone,
>
>I'm currently trying to decide on new printers for our Junior School.

>I'm interested in how you setup your Junior class rooms and which
>printers you use, and how often you have problems?

Here our yr5 and yr6 kids have laptops, and in their rooms there is
also an ordinary desktop machine (usually a hand-me-down from the
computer labs, so nothing flash)to which an inkjet printer attached,
shared as a MS shared printer, and this is what the kids mostly print
to over the wireless network. There is also another inkjet printer in
the room which the students can use via a USB cable (grr USB printers
and laptops are painful).

In the other JS rooms there are usually 3 desktop PCs (again
hand-me-downs) and 2 inkjet printers. One of the printers is shared
so the one without a printer can print.

We mostly use HP printers (5440, 5652), but recently have been trying
some Canon iP4500s, hoping that the consumables are less costly.

Most of the problems in the yr5 and yr6 rooms are network related
(the desktop machine is not turned on, the hub has become
disconnected etc.) Come to think of it, same goes for the other JS
rooms. Occasionally we have to re-do the sharing.

The senior school has 4 big Ricoh network printers, but the Yr7 rooms
have a small laser printer that the kids can use - probably a comfort
thing while they get used to 'big school'.

This is what has evolved over the years, not the result of serious planning.

Hope this helps.

rgds
Jim

We have to use this Disclaimer

Views, opinions, etc. expressed reflect those of the author and not
Ruyton Girls' School

Jim Maunder
Ruyton Girls School
Melbourne, Australia