[Technical] Vis Studio 2005 start issue

Chris Stedman chris at braemar.vic.edu.au
Wed Jun 20 14:08:04 EST 2007

Hi,

I have a problem that hopefully so one else has bumped into and knows of
a way around.

We use mandatory roaming policies and the issue is that each time
students open VS2K5 it goes through the "Microsoft Visual Studio is
setting the environment for the first time. This may take some time."
This can take some time too and dam annoying!

What I have done so far is:

1/ Set the auto save option to "Z:\Visual Studio\settings". This was the
fix according to MSDN site as it was a known issue with roaming
profiles.

2/ Logged in as the profile and run up VS2K5 and saved the changes -
changed the nutser from .man to .dat first.

I am at a loss as some times the changes set and sometimes they don't. I
have logged in as a test student and the very first time I run VS2K5 it
sets things up and I can see the settings folder set up. I restart the
PC  and then the next time I log in it goes through the set up process
all over again!

Anyone come across this and know of a good workaround/solution?

Thanks!

Chris Stedman

ICT System Administrator
Braemar College