[Technical] Advice Request - Workstation Purchase

Jason Clarke JCL at gwsc.vic.edu.au
Wed Jul 25 16:10:38 EST 2007

Hi Keith,

Vic DET/DEET (whatever it is this week) has IBM laptops with
unbelievable service. This is not unique to the laptop scheme. We get it
with our school owned machines. Next business day really is next
business day. This however is only hardware. They work well for us
because we have the technical resources that make logging faults with
them easily.

I have heard that Dell PLATINUM (not regular) service is good. The
regular service is pitiful. (This is coming from my wife :-)

We were a HP shop, but we dropped them when they moved their helpdesk
overseas (NO. I will NOT install keyboard drivers when its not detected
in BIOS). Their on site service is fine however, once you get through
the helpdesk.

IBM are who I would recommend, for a couple of reasons.
A) These machines are better engineered, failure rates are lower than
other vendors.
B) Support is fantastic.
C) At the end of 3 years, because these machines are 'better', they're
still quite usable.

So, spending a little more now, means you get 4 years instead of 2.5 for
example.

My response is based on hardware support.. Software/Network support is a
different matter :-)

In closing, IBM, Dell, HP. Find a reseller and see what extra services
they can provide.

Hope this helps.

Jason Clarke
TSSP - Glen Waverley S.C.