[Technical] NOS Switchover Query

Russell Curr RUSSELL at avila.vic.edu.au
Tue Jul 17 12:14:19 EST 2007

..and similar here Keith.  We have Novell, Windows, and Linux servers.  All authentication done via Novell; email on Groupwise, but use Linux for Moodle, Squid, Sarg, CUPS, PaperCut (to manage printing and web credits - works a treat).  And we are starting to deploy Mac workstations (laptops and desktop systems) that authenticate into Novell.  Have also started using VMserver after using VMworkstation for a couple of years.

cheers
Russell

Russell Curr
Network Manager
Avila College
Ph: 9831-9645
Fax: 03-9888-1202
email: russell at avila.vic.edu.au

>>> rgesthuizen at gmail.com 07/17/07 11:39 am >>>
Same here Keith, we run a hybrid network that happily supports Novell,
Windows and Linux servers and a mix of workstations. Authentication by
Novell, application distribution and reimaging by Zenworks, print charging
with pcounter, some dedicated applications on a Windows server (bibliotech,
markbook etc), Linux (mail / moodle / drupal / sarg / squid / squidguard
etc). I took some cues from Monash and Swinburne that run similar Novell
networks (where our Tech comes from).

Of course this isn't Highlander
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Highlander_%2528film%2529>and we are looking
to support a school, not a SOHO <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SOHO_network>
network.

Instead, give some thought now towards virtualising and migrating all your
your network servers using VMWare technology. No reason you cannot run all
these happily together on the one or two physical servers. Once done, you
can step back and reexamine your network services once hardware is removed
from the equation and the focus is put back onto services. :-)

Regards Roland