[Technical] A "real" world problem for consideration

Tisdall, Tim tim.tisdall at macrob.vic.edu.au
Mon Apr 24 08:33:21 EST 2006

Hi Kevork,

Something that may suit your needs is ALTQ bandwidth shaping in OpenBSD's
Packet Filter (PF). You could very easilly divide the bandwidth into 4
queues of 25%, with any of them being able to 'borrow' bandwidth from
unused capacity in the other queues.

Any of the traffic passing through PF can be logged, so with appropriate
tools you should be able to use these for reporting. ntop may be a good
place to start looking as far as web based reporting tools go.

PF has also been ported to FreeBSD and NetBSD, and is now included in
their base installations. A kernel recompile may be needed support ALTQ in
these, but works out of the box in OpenBSD.

Cheers,

Tim Tisdall
Network Manager
The Mac.Robertson Girls' High School