[Technical] A "real" world problem for consideration

Roland Gesthuizen rgesthuizen at gmail.com
Sat Apr 22 20:55:28 EST 2006

Yes Kevork, it is an interesting dilemma how best to divide up the Internet
commons by dishing out small portions at a time or using straws to eat.

I think your proposal to cap bandwidth is easy enough to do with your setup
.. I like the idea of giving each user slice of the available bandwidth. At
a stab, a third should be fine as they probably wont notice the drop in
performance when the fourth user jumps online as they are used to hopping
about on one leg. You can fine tune this by further capping their collective
bandwidth if the cable modem link gets close to its limit (perhaps your plan
already does this). It should also be easy enough to track, tally and report
usage by IP.

Regards Roland

http://www.westallsc.vic.edu.au