[Systems Engineering Teachers' Mailing List] 2011 Exam

Rob Minato rminato at ccw.vic.edu.au
Tue Mar 6 09:24:13 EST 2012

Hi

Has anyone been thru the 2011 external exam?

I gave it to this year's class in week 1. The review I did in class with them yesterday showed a problem with Q3. Mechanical Advantage is calculated using the load and effort forces. The diagram only shows distances, therefore VR should have been required and not MA.

Short answer Q33 also caused some debate. I'm not sure how the exam markers marked this question (assessors report not on vcaa website as yet). I would assume the answer is expecting a change to CFL lighting to keep the light output the same while reducing power. My students came up with many answers:
-sensor to detect people and only turn on light when someone present.
-take 1, 2 or 3 globes out.
While taking lights out will reduce power consumption, it will also reduce the light output.

Any thoughts?

Regards

Rob

Robert Minato
Teacher
Arts and Technology Domain
Catholic College Wodonga
1 Bowman Crt
Wodonga Vic 3690
0260435546
rminato at ccw.vic.edu.au

I mourn the loss of thousands of precious lives, but I will not rejoice in the death of one, not even an enemy. Returning hate for hate multiplies hate, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.

Martin Luther King Jnr