[Systems Engineering Teachers' Mailing List] FYI

Tran, Lorraine I tran.lorraine.i at edumail.vic.gov.au
Wed Mar 10 08:17:31 EST 2010

Project to encourage secondary school students to study energy science

The first stage of a $2 million project to encourage students to study
the sciences <http://www.stelr.org.au/>  in senior secondary years was
welcomed in a joint media release
<http://www.deewr.gov.au/Ministers/Gillard/Media/Releases/Pages/Article_
100301_140703.aspx>  by Deputy Prime Minister Julia Gillard and
Parliamentary Secretary for Industry and Innovation Richard Marles. An
initiative of the Australian Academy of Technological Sciences and
Engineering, the Science and Technology Education Leveraging Relevance
(STELR) project was developed to address the decreasing number of
students choosing to further their studies in the sciences and
mathematics by demonstrating their crucial role in developing solutions
to the challenge of global warming and climate change. In addition to
supporting teachers to extend and develop skills in inquiry-based
teaching, Year 9 and 10 students will participate in a 6 to 10 week
module using a hands-on learning approach. Concepts covered include
global warming, climate change, greenhouse gas effects, renewable energy
resources and energy forms, transformations and conservation. The
project is currently being trialed nationally in 185 schools.

Lorraine Tran I Curriculum Manager

VELS Design, Creativity and Technology

VCE Agricultural and Horticultural Studies I VCE Food and Technology

VCE Design and Technology I VCE Systems Engineering

Victorian Curriculum and Assessment Authority (VCAA)

41 St Andrews Place I East Melbourne I 3002

W (03) 9651 4407 I M 041 933 1630

E tran.lorraine.i at edumail.vic.gov.au
<mailto:tran.lorraine.i at edumail.vic.gov.au>

The Victorian Curriculum and Assessment Authority provides high quality
curriculum, assessment and reporting that promotes individual life long
learning.