[Year 12 SofDev] Students struggling with SAT ideas

Lisa Kerekes Lisa.Kerekes at donvale.vic.edu.au
Tue Apr 28 01:13:07 UTC 2020

Hello,

Great ideas Damien!

Rough year to start SD, Scott!

For home-based ideas, you could also add, Activity Suggester for toddlers, searching by movement/craft/educational/baking/outdoor activities. (In case you’re wondering, yes, toddler-entertaining is MY main challenge at the moment!)
Or, searchable list of recipes for fast home-made snacks for busy students?
If students are stuck for a client, but your school is still open – the first dot-point below could work.

Here’s some ideas I shared with my students / ideas from past years:
Some of these ideas would need to be limited in scope so that are achievable in the limited timeframe. Eg. I encourage students to list all requirements of the solution, then divide them into Stage 1 (which is what they produce for the SAT prototype) and stage 2 (in real life, what would be developed in the future). They just focus/discuss Stage 1 for the SAT then.

•       Booking system for borrowing multimedia equipment, arts dept or sport equipment (at your school?)

•       Someone who runs a home business, shoves receipts into a drawer, then has to process them for tax

•       Hotel room booking system

•       Track driving hours for P platers - start/stop times, map, weather.
Would require a database, map data, optionally access the BOM RSS feed.

•       Landscaping app (for outdoor gardeners, painters, builders) that pulls weather data from the BOM Bureau of Meteorology’s RSS feed into a calendar, to aid decision about which days to schedule outdoor work.

•       Record of scores for gymnasts at different events

•       Booking system for an indoor baseball place – which batting net, date and time

•       Bookings for laser tag venue

•       Attendance checker – for community sport groups, churches, youth groups etc with customisable fields. With admin & user login

•       Golf handicap system

•       Machinery maintenance records (farm, or computer hardware…)

•       Pet or House sitting – records for the person doing the job. What time to feed the pets, any medication, etc.

•       Inventory of theatre costumes, Business Inventory (plant nursery, used car yard, craft supplies)

•       Personal/Family Inventory e.g. hobbies, clothing (even theatre costumes), household possessions (eg for insurance), family share portfolio, heirlooms (items that have belonged to ancestors)

•       Invoice calculator for a small business

•       Appointments/bookings system for a disorganised Veterinarian.
Could also maintain/include a customer database.

•       Someone who runs a home business, shoves receipts into a drawer, then has to process them for tax

•       A roster for navy cadets

•       A Family Day Care home business that needs to track the hours and charge for each child

•       Basketball competition stats recorder – to output a ladder in a format to be uploaded into the website

•       Something to help Student Council organise events

•       Small business customers or sales

•       Plant nursery app - enter type of plant, is it best in sun/shade/both… other care instructions etc to help people new to gardening to get the best from their plants.    Database w search

•       Café which wants to take online orders

•       Sports club (events, reminders, fees, score tables etc). Database w search
It’s best if they can actually get in contact with a real business for the data collection tasks. If possible. Tap into family, friends of family, school friends who have family members running small or home-based businesses…

Hope that helps a bit 😊
Lisa Kerekes
Secondary Teacher