[Year 12 SofDev] Multiple choice exam question confusion

Andrew Shortell shortell at get2me.net
Sun Nov 3 07:33:48 UTC 2019

hi All
just as an observation:

The option in D in 2016 was not there in 2017.

Therefore IMHO we must look for another interpretation of the question

Thus in 2017  option C & D are clearly nothing to do with DFD

So A or B …?  A has nothing to do with flow so that leaves B.   Personally I do not like B as an answer but it is the least bad and has SOMETHING to do with flow.
B was 47% and A was 2%

in 2016  68% got it right because the answer was more obvious

Notice also in 2018:
there was no question like that;  one might presume that perhaps it is possible that the examiners chose another topic because that topic has already scored reasonably well in two successive years so perhaps teachers were teaching it well to students who were, in turn, actually learning it well (even some of the EAL students).

Experience (only since 1991 in Info Sys / SofDev) tells me that it is likely but NOT CERTAIN that the question might pop up again just to make sure that teachers are still teaching it well.
This has been a recognisable pattern in SofDev over the last 27 years and as this is the last year of the current study design the current examiners would be UNlikely to stray too far from accepted conventional usage in this context (but NOT impossible).

When the exam paper is being prepared it is my understanding that a TEAM of EAL vetters go over it very very carefully.
So, in future, when you see something that YOU feel is disadvantageous to EAL students then you should give that feedback to VCAA fairly early as, generally, all exam papers are finished by March/April so that they can be ever so carefully checked, checked again and then again and then someone actually sits the paper (usually a teacher who does not have the subject that year) and then it is all checked again.

Practice exam papers from other sources are generally written by one person and checked by one person though the VITTA papers were produced by a team of 4 which is partly why we did 3 of them at a  time. I have no idea what DLTV does.

if you take 27 years of exam papers in this subject you can see some very interesting things. Though I still miss Mike Brooks’ drawings.

So Michael it will be interesting to see if this student of yours exceeds 43 study score - a definite possibility given the amount of study being done!

Cheers Andrew

(At Lalor SC till Christmas)